0 Articles
0 News
0 Properties
0 Page

Workforce

Basic Workforce

  • Lindale draws from a commuting range of 26-28 miles
  • Workforce age population base (18-64 years) within 30 miles:  214,000
  • US Census reports the average commute time is 26 minutes
  • Workforce in the Tyler/Smith County MSA is: 103,000

Labor Survey & Wage/Benefit Survey

The Lindale Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) and the Tyler Economic Development Council (TEDC) periodically conduct a county-wide labor survey and a regional wage-and-benefit survey.

Where Smith County Residents Work

According to the 2010 Census, 65.3% of Smith County residents work within Smith County - the remaining 34.7% work in surrounding counties with the largest percentage (5.5%) working in Dallas County.

County Labor Force Percent
Smith 53,768 65.3%
Dallas 4,568 5.5
Gregg 4,157 5.0
Harris 2,652 3.2
Tarrant 1,756 2.1
Cherokee 1,095 1.3
Rusk 939 1.1
Henderson 863 1.0
Collin 860 1.0
Van Zandt 694 0.8
All Other 10,992 13.3

Smith County/Tyler MSA Workforce Statistics
Source: Texas Workforce Commission

Total Non-Farm employment is 94,908 (2013 Avg.). Private employment is 81,867, while public-sector employment is 13,042 (see table below).

Tyler MSA, Non-Farm Employment Estimates by Industry Sector

Series Title Aug 2017 Jul 2017 Aug 2016 Monthly Change Monthly % Yearly Change Yearly %
Total Non-farm 106,600 106,800 104,400 -200 -0.2% 2,200 2.1%
Total Private 93,200 93,200 91,300 0 0.0% 1,900 2.1%
Goods Producing 12,600 12,600 12,400 0 0.0% 200 1.6%
Mining, Logging and Construction 6,300 6,300 6,000 0 0.0% 300 5.0%
Manufacturing 6,300 6,300 6,400 0 0.0% -100 -1.6%
Service-Providing 94,000 94,200 92,000 -200 -0.2% 2,000 2.2%
Private Service Providing 80,600 80,600 78,900 0 0.0% 1,700 2.2%
Trade, Transportation, and Utilities 22,900 22,700 22,600 200 0.9% 300 1.3%
Wholesale Trade 4,000 4,000 4,000 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
Retail Trade 14,200 14,000 13,900 200 1.4% 300 2.2%
Transportation, Warehousing, and Utilities 4,700 4,700 4,700 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
Information 2,300 2,300 2,200 0 0.0% 100 4.5%
Financial Activities 5,100 5,100 5,200 0 0.0% -100 -1.9%
Professional and Business Services 9,000 9,100 9,100 -100 -1.1% -100 -1.1%
Education and Health Services 24,600 24,500 23,400 100 0.4% 1,200 5.1%
Leisure and Hospitality 12,100 12,300 11,400 -200 -1.6% 700 6.1%
Other Services 4,600 4,600 5,000 0 0.0% -400 -8.0%
Government 13,400 13,600 13,100 -200 -1.5% 300 2.3%
Federal Government 600 600 600 0 0.0% 0 0.0%
State Government 4,000 4,100 3,900 -100 -2.4% 100 2.6%
Local Government 8,800 8,900 8,600 -100 -1.1% 200 2.3%

Source: Labor Market & Career Information, Texas Workforce Commission

Total Civilian Labor Force – Not Seasonally Adjusted – August 2017

  Employed Unemployed
Area Labor Force Employment Number % of Labor Force
Texas 13,406,779 12,802,022 604,757 4.5
Tyler MSA / Smith County 106,723 102,397 4,326 4.1

Source: Tracer2.com

Quarterly Employment and Wages – 1st Quarter 2017

Area Industry Average Employment Average Weekly Wage
Tyler MSA / Smith County Total, All Industries 101,117 $833

Source: Tracer2.com